What are grants?
Grants are a valuable form of government funding that support a wide range of innovative projects in fields such as research, public service, and sustainable economic development. Here are some key points to keep in mind when considering grant funding:
- Grants do not need to be repaid, making them an attractive option for innovators and entrepreneurs.
- There are numerous types of grants available, ranging from small business grants to funding for multinational corporations, universities, and knowledge institutes.
- Grant applications are typically submitted in response to a specific call for proposals, and are governed by a signed grant agreement with the relevant funding agency.
- Grant funding is meant to cover costs directly related to the activities described in the approved application and grant agreement, rather than general operational expenses.
- Grants are milestone-based, with payments made according to a schedule outlined in the grant agreement.
- Milestones may be tied to specific achievements, such as reaching innovation or sustainability goals, or creating new knowledge.
Discover the grant programmes
Governments provide support for organizations at every stage of their innovation journey, from R&D to commercialization and investment, with a particular focus on sustainability. In Belgium, regional governments offer local support, while the European Commission provides support to organizations across the European Union.
Regional grants in Belgium
In Belgium, businesses have access to a range of government grant funding opportunities that support innovation and entrepreneurship, and boost regional economies. Here are some key points to keep in mind